By Thomas K. Hubbard
A significant other to Greek and Roman Sexualities provides a finished number of unique essays in terms of facets of gender and sexuality within the classical world.
- Views a number of the practices and discursive contexts of sexuality systematically and holistically
- Discusses Greece and Rome in every one bankruptcy, with sensitivity to the continuities and adjustments among the 2 classical civilizations
- Addresses the classical effect at the realizing of later a while and religion
- Covers inventive and literary genres, numerous social environments of sexual behavior, and the technical disciplines of drugs, magic, physiognomy, and dream interpretation
- Features contributions from greater than forty most sensible overseas scholars
Read or Download A Companion to Greek and Roman Sexualities PDF
Similar sexuality books
Intercourse: An Uncensored advent offers sincere, in-depth information regarding intercourse, sexual orientation, masturbation, foreplay, contraception suggestions, and security opposed to ailment. This revised and up to date version contains up-to-date information regarding every thing from STIs to new sex-related laws in addition to fresh sections on sexting, on-line relationship and safeguard, and sex-related bullying of all types.
In Europe, love has been given a widespread position in ecu self-representations from the Enlightenment onwards. the class of affection, stemming from inner most and private spheres, used to be given a public functionality and used to differentiate ecu civilisation from others. participants to this quantity hint historic hyperlinks and examine particular connections among the 2 discourses on love and Europe over the process the 20 th century, exploring the differences made among the private and non-private, the political and private.
Ilert Sundt (1817-1875), a Lutheran minister and remarkable self-taught sociologist, spent two decades hiking throughout his state to check social stipulations in nineteenth-century Norway. His paintings took him to starting to be towns, small farms, and rural villages, the place he wondered either the rich and the operating sessions approximately their lives.
- Progressive Sexuality Education: The Conceits of Secularism (Routledge Research in Education)
- The Sex Lives of Saints: An Erotics of Ancient Hagiography (Divinations: Rereading Late Ancient Religion)
- The Freud Journal of Lou Andreas-Salomé
- Happy Family: Parenting through family rituals
- Treatment of the Narcissistic Neuroses
Additional info for A Companion to Greek and Roman Sexualities
Charmides Cra. Cratylus Euthphr. Euthyphro Lg. Leges (Laws) Ly. Lysis Phdr. Phaedrus Prt. Protagoras R. Respublica Smp. Symposium Plaut. Plautus Cas. Casina Truc. Truculentus Plb. Polybius Plin. Pliny the Elder HN Historia naturalis Plin. Pliny the Younger Ep. Epistulae Plu. Plutarch Alc. Alcibiades Alex. Alexander Amat. Amatorius (Eroticus) Con. praec. Coniugslia praecepta De mul. vir. De mulierum virtutibus Lyc. Lycurgus Lys. Lysander Mar. Marius Pel. Pelopidas Quaest. Rom. Quaestiones Romanae Sol.
She is the author of Big Screen Rome (2005) and Aphrodite (2010) and the editor of Rome, Season One: History Makes Television (2008) and Screening Love and Sex in the Ancient World (2013). She has published essays on the representation of antiquity in films such as Gladiator, Troy, Alexander, 300, and Black Orpheus. Mary R. D'Angelo is Associate Professor of New Testament and Christian Origins in the Theology Department and in the Gender Studies Program at the University of Notre Dame. She lectures and publishes on interpretation of scripture, women in the early Christian texts, gender and sexual politics in the interactions between ancient Jews and Christians and the early Roman Empire.
Electra Hel. Helena Hipp. Hippolytus Med. Medea Euseb. Eusebius of Caesarea Praep. evang. Praeparatio evangelica Vit. Const. Vita Constantini Ezek Ezekiel Exod Exodus FGrH Die Fragmente der griechischen Historiker, edited by F. Jacoby. Berlin: Weidmann, 1923–58 / Leiden: Brill, 1961–98 Fronto, Ep. Fronto, Epistulae G&R Greece and Rome Gen Genesis GLQ Gay and Lesbian Quarterly GRBS Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies Hdt. Herodotus, Historiae Herod. Herodas Hes. Hesiod Op. Opera et dies Th. Theogonia Hipp.